For current service opportunities and to submit your hours for approval go to the campus ministry website :
Christian Service: As a Christian (and/or a
member of the Bellarmine-Jefferson community), each of us is called to
minister to others. The Christian Service Program is a mandatory part
of the Theology Program that involves students in a variety of ministry
activities. This program gives the student lived experience in the area
of service to others in the name of Christ. (See Student-Parent Handbook.)
Christian Service Guidelines:
- Eighty (80) hours are required for graduation and participation in the commencement exercises.
- Students are required to complete twenty (20) hours each academic year.
new to Bellarmine-Jefferson High School must complete twenty (20) hours
for each year that they attend Bellarmine-Jefferson High School or the
appropriate amount of pro-rated hours.
- Five (5)
hours are required each quarter and must be done within the time frame
of the quarter. A school-wide date is scheduled each quarter for the
reporting of service experience(s), and the submission of verification
and reflection papers. Students will be asked to keep service
information and returned reflection essays in their theology binders.
- The service time, some form of Christian ministry, should be spent directly helping some person(s) or group less fortunate than the students themselves or in some form of Christian ministry. Students may not receive any kind of monetary compensation for this service.
- All hours must be completed at organizations listed on the Service Organization
handout or at the student’s parish. Students will receive a copy of
this handout at the beginning of the year. If a student desires to
complete a service project with an organization not listed on the
handout s/he MUST have written prior approval from her/his theology
teacher or by the Coordinator of the Christian Service Program. CAUTION: Hours performed with organizations or individuals not listed on the handout must be pre-approved or they will not be considered valid hours for this program. Also hours that are more than a semester old
will not be accepted. No more than 20 hours will be received at a
time. Students may do no more than 5 service hours per year for
Bell-Jeff (for most this means no more than 20 hours total may count
towards the graduation requirement).
- The hours of service must be verified by the supervisor or person in charge of the program or service—not by parents, relatives, or neighbors. Ministry to family or extended family member(s) should be done automatically because of family relationships
and should not be confused with Christian Service to the larger
community. Christian Service must be performed in service to those not related to the student.